Sunday, April 13, 2014

Olive Jaymes Berken

Our sweet baby girl, Olive Jaymes, was born Wednesday, April 9th at 7:06am.  Weighing seven pounds on the nose (exactly like Finley was) with a length of twenty inches (one inch shorter than Finley was).  She was born healthy & happy via VBAC seventeen days early (Finn was eighteen days early).  Guess my body wants them out early and right at seven pounds :)

Tuesday evening about 8:30 I started to feel cramps.  Lee got online to check out what early signs might be.... period-like cramps.  Bingo.  (I never got to experience any laboring with Finley, so this is new.)  We started timing them and realized they were  two and half minutes apart, lasting approx 45 seconds.  They were also getting much stronger.  We called the on call Dr and after talking with him he told us to head into the hospital.  Finley was in bed already (perfect) so we called my mom who headed over.  By the time she got here (only 30-40 minutes after contractions had started), I was on all 4's with each contraction.  We headed to hospital with me moaning and groaning a bit.  Got wheeled up to the birthing unit at PVH.  Was put in a room where I was now having extremely close and very intense contractions.  They were only about two minutes apart now and almost dehabilitating.  I got in the tub (for a very short time), layed in bed, tried different positions, yadda yadda yadda.  After verifying I was in labor (obviously) our doctor, Dr. Klingner was called and she was headed in.  After awhile I realized I would be in a better place to labor, with the assistance of an epideral. It sucked being put in (cathader in my spine) especially while contracting, but soon after I felt so much better.  I was able to get little bits of rest, even.  I arrived at hospital 3 cm dilated and within an hour was at 6.  By 2:30am, I was fully dilated but little Olive was not ready.  My water eventually needed to be broke around 3:30.  She still wasn't ready and I didn't start pushing until 5:30am.  Things progressed but by 6:45, Dr. Klinger mentioned baby was getting a bit stressed and her heart rate was elevated, so I needed to get this girl out... It was really, really tough work, harder than anything I have ever done, but at 7:06 am (an hour and a half after starting pushing), Olive Jaymes came out.  She was a bit stressed out and her color wasn't great but within an hour, she was rocking and rolling.  We were moved to another room and were able to enjoy our new baby girl.  My mom and dad came in that morning with Olive's big sister and IT WAS AMAZING.  Seeing our girls together was a feeling I can't describe.  There are no words for this experience.  Being able to deliver VBAC, having a healthy baby, and now watching my two daughters "play together", is a magical thing.  I do also feel those overwhelming worries of if I will be able to be a "good enough" mommy, or worried that Finn will lose our connection while I am so busy with a newborn.  Will Finley get jealous?  Will I be able to entertain two?  Will I be emotionally able to deal?  I love Finley more than anything and now, I have another baby girl I love just as much.  CRAZY :)))

Here are just a few (of hundreds) of Olive's first appearance in this world...

































No comments:

Post a Comment