Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crazy & unexpected day!

We went in for our 10:30 appointment this morning to try a version... and just left the hospital at 4:30pm!!! 6 fun filled hours!  The version did not work, so our babe is hanging out in breech position still.  It was a very uncomfortable experience for me.  The drugs they gave me made my heart race and my entire body tremble, so it was very tough to focus on my breathing and relax so the doctor could move things around in my uterus.  I was able to relax and the doctor gave it two tries.  A forward somersault and a backwards one... babe wasn't having it. She wouldn't continue either somersault in order to be head down.  Lee said the force and movement the doctor was using was intense to watch.  I didn't watch... I trembled, cried a bit and really just focused on my breathing!  My actual doctor happened to be on call this weekend at the hospital so she joined the OB doc in the process and it was so helpful for me as far as relaxing and feeling safe!  After I was given the news of the unsuccessful attempts, I pretty much spent a bit mourning the fact that I will not be able to deliver how I had hoped and imagined.  I am now faced with the reality of a planned c-section.  August 3rd.  IF, the baby waits that long~ which leads me to why we were in the hospital so long...  I was being monitored, along with the baby, from the very beginning and was told (before the version, even) that I was having regular contractions.  Well, I was not feeling any of them and after the procedure when I was checked for dilation, we were informed I was 5 cm!  So the doctors decided I needed to stay and be monitored.  I was having contractions and I had dilated 2 more cm since Friday!!!  So, for 2 hours we hung out.  Thank goodness the Brewers/Rockies game and the World Cup were on!  We had something else to focus on other than the "wait".... During this time, my contractions became a bit stronger and I started feeling them!  It was a bit intense and overwhelming for a bit there.  We really thought we were going to meet our daughter way sooner than thought!  The doctor came back after the 2 hours and rechecked my dilation, and there was no change but the fact that I was still contracting and now feeling them quite a bit, led her to the decision to have us monitored for another 2 hours!  During these 2 hours the contractions slowed way down and by the time I was re-checked my doctor felt it was okay to send us home.  Strict instructions... bed rest.  I can move around to use the restroom, even sit outside for awhile if I want, but absolutely no dog walks, cleaning around the house, running any errands, etc... It is important we let this baby stay put as long as possible!  Tomorrow is my 37th week mark, which is huge for lung development and the next milestone would be the ease of breast feeding, so we really want her to stay put!  We have a check up appointment on Wednesday to see where things are at!  I have permission from the doc to also try acupuncture on that Wednesday I am already out and about for her appointment, in hopes of maybe one last effort at getting her to turn!  I know the chances are slim and I really need to work on accepting the fact we will be getting a c-section, but I want to try everything in my power first!!!  The best news of the day... my baby 's heartbeat and health are PERFECT!  That is by far the most important thing!

1 comment:

  1. You're are right; the most important thing is healthy baby, healthy mommy, and healthy daddy!!!
    We love the three of you so much.

    ReplyDelete